Archive for June, 1999
Posted on 01. Jun, 1999 by Ryan.
The Viggen Flight Academy is the first of its kind and has been created around the new Saab 9-3 Viggen high performance vehicle. The Flight Academy took place at Road Atlanta nearby Saab USA’s headquarters in Norcross, Georgia.
The Viggen Flight Academy ran from 1999 when it was introduced until 2002 where it was superseded by the Aero academy for all Saab 9-5 aero models.
Here is the press release below:
Saab 9-3 Viggen Flight Academy – Saab’s new 9-3 Viggen not only comes standard with a powerful range of performance, safety, comfort and convenience, but also delivers a standard two-day intensive driver training session held at the Road Atlanta complex, located near Saab Cars USA’s headquarters in Norcross, Georgia. The program is taight by a team of racing professionals to ensure owners get the most out of their front-wheel drive performance car in everyday driving situations.
It’s not an extra. It’s not an option. The Viggen Flight Academy is as much a part of the Saab 9-3 Viggen as its high output turbocharged engine, sleek exterior and aircraft-inspired cockpit.
In fact, this intensive two-day learning event is offered only to buyers of the Saab 9-3 Viggen.
The Viggen Flight Academy is designed to provide the Viggen owner with an experience that is unique and beyond the ordinary… an experience that is 100 percent Saab. After all, going beyond what you expect is what Saab is all about.
The Viggen is an airborne interceptor that first split the clouds in 1967. Find out why Saab named its new 9-3 performance model the “Viggen” Swedish for “Thunderbolt”.
Base Of Operations: Road Atlanta
Road Atlanta is one of the world’s premier road racing facilities, and a perfect base of operations for the Viggen Flight Academy. Located on 700 acres in the rolling foothills nearly one hour North of Atlanta, this course has more than its share of the right stuff.
Since it was built in 1970, Road Atlanta has hosted classic series like Can-Am, Trans-Am, AMA Camel Pro, AMA Superbike, IMSA Camel GT and the SCCA National Championship Valvoline Runoffs. In addition to a full slate of road racing events, Road Atlanta is one of the most popular locations in the country for road racing training, race car testing and the production of automotive-oriented commercials and feature films.
Road Atlanta is located at 5300 Winder Highway in Braselton, Georgia. There is a wide range of hotel accomodations in the Braselton area. For specific hotel listings, please visit our web site at www.saabusa.com/viggen
The Viggen Flight Academy
The focus of the Viggen Flight Academy is to provide Viggen buyers a chance to learn how to get the most out of their front-wheel drive performance car in everyday road situations.
* Exclusively for buyers of the Saab 9-3 Viggen, their spouse or cohabitator
* Base of operations: Road Atlanta
* Two-day course in performance driving – held throughout the year
* “Ground School” features 80 percent hands-on driving on specially constructed training tracks and 20 percent classroom sessions, both led by professional race car drivers.
(The Flight Academy does not include the time on the full racetrack)
* Generous time spent on “in flight” exercises.
* Evasive Maneuvers
* Instructor to student ratio 1:4
* Dinner with Saab Cars USA management one evening
* Participants will drive Saab 9-3 Viggens and other Saab models supplied by Saab Cars USA
And the best part..
* The Viggen Flight Academy is included free of charge for Viggen buyers*
* When you buy or lease a Saab 9-3 Viggen, your dealer will submit your sales information to Saab Cars USA.
* Upon receipt of your sales information, a Viggen Flight Academy Certificate will be sent to the address on the sales record within 4-6 weeks. Each certificate is individually numbered and tracked.
* One you receive the Certificate, you may enroll in the Viggen flight academy by calling 1.800.849.RACE Please have your vehicle identification number (VIN) and Certificate available for reference when calling. You cannot register until you receive your certificate
94 (Sonett I) (14)
Formula Junior (3)
Quantum IV (10)
97 (Sonett II & III) (47)
600 Lancia (4)
900 NG (33)
9-3 SS (182)
9-5 NG (131)
9-3 NG (8)
92001 (Ursaab) (5)
Quantum I (2)
Quantum II (3)
Quantum III (5)
Quantum V (3)
900 Cabriolet Prototype (1)
900 SPG Prototype (1)
900 Concept Coupe (2)
Bertone Novanta (1)
9-3 Sport-Hatch (5)
9-3 BioPower Hybrid (10)
9-7X Aero (1)
9-5 BioPower 100 (9)
9-4X BioPower (58)
9-X BioHybrid (50)
9-X Air (12)
210 Draken (1)
J 29 (Tunnan) (2)
J 32 (Lansen) (3)
J 35 (Draken) (8)
JA 37 (Viggen) (17)
JAS 39 (Gripen) (9)
Wind Turbines (2)
Saab Clubs (32)