The Saab SPG

Posted on 05. Dec, 2006 by in 1980-1989, 1990-1999, 2000-2009, 900

spg.jpg

The Saab SPG or “Special Performance Group” which is still highly regarded as an enthusiasts version of the classic Saab 900, went into production in 1985 and concluded in 1991.

The SPG came in a variety of colors from Silver, to Black to Eduardian Grey to Talladega Red in 1990 and 1991, although there was a prototype done in 1984 known as the “Pearl Edition” which included the SPG skirt kit, painted in pearl.

There has been quite a bit of mystique when it comes to the SPG, in terms of what vehicles that included the “skirt” kit, as well as additional items as well as the “Aero Skirt kit”. I hope that with this posting, I can bring some clarity to the model.

spg_brochure_small.jpg

Photo Credit: Saab-Scania of America, Inc. Brochure 1988

Here is a video done in 1988 by Saab-Scania of the United Kingdom. The SPG in the U.K. was referred to as the Saab 900 Turbo 16 S. The United States designated “Turbo” and “S” as mutually exclusive designations and never found themselves together on the same model unlike this model in the United Kingdom. Enjoy the video.

I have also been able to provide you a detailed breakdown of the SPG’s from year to year, specifically outlining the number produced, colors available both interior and exterior, etc.

It seems clear that with the Saab 900 SPG in silver indicated by both the drawing and video above, there are clearly some incorrect pieces of data in this chart. If there is anyone out there that can help with this, the Saab community at large would be very appreciative.

A thank you to Daniel at http://www.saabcarsonline.com for making this information chart available.

SPG

ren4a.jpg

Photo Credit: Thor Carlson http://home.ptd.net/~carlsont/thors.htm

1987

SPG “Eduardian Grey”

1987_spg.jpg

1988

SPG “Black” or “Eduardian Grey”

1988_spg.jpg

1989

SPG “Eduardian Grey”

1989_spg.jpg

1990

SPG “Talladega Red” or “Black”

1990_spg.jpg

1991

SPG “Talladega Red”

1991_spg.jpg

Photo Credit: Steve Richardson http://www.gweep.net/~prefect/

SPG “Black”

1991_black_spg.jpg

SPG “Beryl Green”

1990-1991-spg-beryl-green.jpg

Here are some drawings that should help explain what items makeup the SPG from the exterior that clearly depict the 1985-1986 SPG models as well as well as the 1987-1991 models.

1985-1986 SPG Kit

1985-1986_spg_kit.jpg

1987-1991 SPG Kit

1987_1991_spg_kit.jpg

In addition to the the exterior skirt kits, the SPGs included Higher Output APC box known as the “red box” as well as special springs and shocks, larger diameter sway bars and the classic SPG wheels. I have provided a few of the photos below for your reference. I am still looking for some good photos of the SPG sway bars and Red APC box at this time.

SPG Wheels

saab-alloy-900-spg_aero.jpg

Photo Credit: Jeff Powell’s site http://jpowell.tripod.com/saab-wheels/99-900/

SPG Springs & Shocks

springs_shocks.jpg

Photo Credit: Saab-Scania Accessories Catalog 1988 http://www.saabvideos.com/catalogs.html

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

54 Responses to “The Saab SPG”

1. g

05. Dec, 2006

did spg’s come with the redbox? i know in the uk the redbox was only on the Carlssons – but i thought even in the us market the redbox was still a “special”

2. phil

06. Dec, 2006

I think all spgs came with the redbox. In the UK, the red box was an option, not just on the carlsson. My 1991 T16S came with the red box.

3. Jon Williams

06. Dec, 2006

A few corrections:

The Saab 900 turbo with “Special Performance Group” package was never referred to as an “SPG” by Saab. The moniker SPG was adopted by enthusiasts, to the best of my knowledge.

SPG production never included the color silver, in the USA.

(Saab made many “exclusive” cars that were not in regular production. Examples are: In 1984: 16 valve engines, in 1981 APC or Automatic Performance Control, in 1984: the “Mother of Pearl” Prototype SPG, etc.)

The sway bars were first available on the 1985 SPG and then later model 900 turbos. All SPGs had sway bars from the factory. There was only one size sway bar for all classic 900 turbos and SPGs.

SPGs did not come from the factory with Red APC boxes, they were an accessory available from the dealer used in conjunction with a 2.8 bar fuel pressure regulator and an upgraded distributor.

Jon Williams

My Saabs:

1991 900 Turbo Convertible, black, tan leather, 5-speed
    1991 900 Turbo Convertible SE, Platana Gray, gray leather, automatic
    1990 900 Turbo 3-door, black, tan leather, automatic
    1989 SPG, black, whaletail
    1989 SPG, black, “winter beater”
    All above are licensed and “on the road”
    1990 900 Turbo 3-door, Red, tan leather, 5-speed, parts car
    1989 900 4-door, blue, parts car
    1988 900 Turbo 3-door, silver, gray leather, auto, parts car
    1986 900 Turbo 3-door, white, red leather, airflow, “totalled, parted out”
    1986 900 3-door, blue, parts car
    1985 900 Turbo 4-door, black, auto, parts car
    1985 SPG, motor/trans out for rebuild
    1984 900 turbo 3-door, 16 valve “test-car”, parted out, sandblasted, potential “open-top” (converted to convertible without a top)
    1983 900 Turbo 3-door, black, tan leather, 5-speed (converted from automatic) off the road, RUST!
    1983 900 3-door, maroon parts car
    1983 900 3-door, light blue, 5-speed, “the blue bomber”
    1982 900 turbo, 3-door, rose quartz, completely parted out & cut up (still here, though)
    1981 900 Turbo, 3-door, black, maroon velour, 5-speed, APC “test-car”, dual vent hood from the factory

4. ryanoe9000

06. Dec, 2006

Jon,

Thank you for the corrections and additional information, I think everyone (myself included) will find this useful, setting the record straight.

5. zippy

07. Dec, 2006

That black ’91 900SPG, one sexy car!!! *drooling*

6. keith

07. Dec, 2006

The SPG is such great car. I dream of owning one some day. Which leads me to a good question. Besides calling up Saab with a VIN#, is there any other way to distinguish a SPG from a doctored Tubro. I’ve heard that on the inside driver side door there should be a sticker with the automobile details, as well as a the ‘aero’ distinction. Can anyone confirm?

7. Jon Williams

08. Dec, 2006

Keith,

A true SPG will have a sticker on the driverside door that says “M AERO”.
    [img]http://www.nysoc.com/albums/album40/P0007473.sized.jpg[/img]

A non SPG will have a sticker that says “IE AERO”
    [IMG]http://www.nysoc.com/albums/album43/P0002402_Sticker_On_Door_Panel.sized.jpg[/IMG]

Another distinguishing feature is a sticker to the left of the gas door that says “Premium Unleaded Fuel Only”

Jon
    jon1..

8. chris stamm

19. Dec, 2006

I am a big fan of the saab spg i just love the body style and the handling of the car’s performance!

9. eric

21. Jan, 2007

What if the sticker says U aero?

10. Todd Allen

21. Mar, 2007

Thank you for a wonderful website, filled with great pictures.

I own two Classic 900 Aeros (as I call them): A 1985 all black and the eye-catching Talladega Red from 1990. Both are a thrill to drive.

Question: Jon William’s pciture shows my exact car–both black body and black panels. I have seen many more with the grey panel black body combination for 1985. Does anyone know how many of the “black/blacks” came to the U.S.? The former–and original–owner of this car said they were very rare and only made early in the production run of the car.

Also, if anyone out there knows of a good source for better leather seats for these cars, please–please!–let me know. Both of my cars feature great back seats, but poor condition front seats. I am having trouble finding replacement front seats (Sierra Tan for my 1985 and Buffalo Grey for the 1990). I know there are replacement covers out there, but I’d prefer to stick with the oem leather/vinyl combination. Any sources out there? I’ll travel far, and pay well!

Thanks again for a great place to browse and learn!

11. Eric

21. Mar, 2007

I have some seats, heck I have a whole car I’ll sell for 1k needs work, previous owner tells me it is a euro SPG as the color is silver. Tried to get info from the local saab dealer on the history, no clue yet. Seats are correct and intact, spg lower body stuff is fine, newer brembo brakes etc. I have too many projects. grey seats.

12. James

24. Apr, 2008

I found an 88’ 900 at a car lot and but I’m not for certain if it is a SPG, I will have to look at the sticker on the door. However, the hood and trunk lid need to be painted, it has a large dent in the passenger door, the hood does not fit right and does not open and the upholstery needs to be redone. So a lot of work needs to be done. It has 162k and they want $1995 for it. I am only seventeen and could maybe put $1500 into it. Is it worth it? And how much do you think it will cost to fix up?

13. chris

16. Jun, 2008

To the 17 year old – I just purchased an 88 SPG for $3k. The person who owned it prior payed 2K, but sunk a ton into the car on a steering rack, brakes, clutch, hoses, etc. Just remember, if the dealer could fix it up cheaply, they would. Also consider that body panels not meeting properly could mean damage.

My advice, find a nice old 900 turbo in decent condition. You could get one in driving condition for $1500. You may be able to find one with a bad tranny for less than $1000. You can use your $ to put a rebuilt tranny in there and drive a clean reliable car.

18. Jun, 2008

Chris,

This is very true, I think there are not too many people that seriously realize the value in a proposition like this.

– R

15. arias

07. Nov, 2008

I’m on my 3rd Saab, second SPG.
    1. ’85 900 Turbo
    2. ’88 Eduardian Grey SPG
    3. ’90 Talladega Red SPG

Warning to anyone considering purchasing an SPG. Do not try and buy an SPG for 3k and expect NOT to sink at least the same amount into getting your car working up to speed. The more miles, the more work done one the car, the riskier the buy as much as you might fall in love with your Saab. My first car was a wasteful money pit that I held on for too long because I was young and naive.

After that I always learned to either purchase from a Saab Mechanic (If you want a dependable SPG expect the sticker price to be at least 6k) who often have side hobbies of fixing up SPG’s to sell (visit your local saab shop and look at the bulletin boards or ask the manager where to find one) or have enough experience to research the car history. Be very careful, the more owners, the riskier. And of course if you’re not a mechanic yourself or don’t plan on dropping 3 times the value on your SPG, don’t bother purchasing one with absurd miles unless you can see the receipts that it’s been completely restored.

My current 1990 Talladega I found with 64,000 miles on it with one previous owner … a little old lady from alaska. ChaChing! Paid $6600. Have spent about 2k in repairs and upgrades in the last three years, which is about what I expected.

07. Nov, 2008

Arias,

Good call, and this is a good reason for people to consider how much they will actually need to spend to have a reliable used Saab.

17. John

31. Dec, 2008

Heads up to Arias:

I purchased a spectacular ’90 SPG from the original owner, 125,000 miles, with synthetic oil from birth–and yes–for only $2,500.00, the deal of a life time!

Four years later, the car runs just as strong (130 mph, no sweat) and gets just under 30 mpg.

Great winter car, safe as hell and a blast to drive.

So, yes, there are still a few great deals out there.

31. Dec, 2008

John,

Hello. Where did you buy it? Was it from a Saab enthusiast? Please show us some photos here, you know I could feature your Saab 900 SPG? 🙂

Please tell us more, including a few good photos!!

Great find!

Best,

19. Cindy

12. Jan, 2009

I am in the process of trying to sell my deceased brother’s 1988 SAAB. He was told and we believed it was an SPG. A recent prospective buyer told us that he ran the VIN number and it is not but is an after factory rebuild. We called the local dealer and they said it is an SPG but cannot give us anything in writing stating that it is. What are your thoughts on this? Here is the ad if you want to look at the specifics:
    He advised us to change our ad immediately and offered to buy the car for considerably less. We are just at a loss especially since my brother bought it last January for $5800 and we are selling if for less as it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Cindy

13. Jan, 2009

Cindy,

Hello.

Thanks for your note and sorry to hear about your Brother’s passing. It looks like he was quite the Saab enthusiast.

I think it is great that you are going through the proper channels in which to provide this vehicle to a loving new owner, and I think you are going about this the correct way.

In terms of price, it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay, and it’s hard to recoop costs for anyone’s add-ons to a car, and furthermore, it’s easier sometimes, depending on the buyer to have a car that has not been modified for authenticity/condition sake.

I am sure word will spread quickly, now that your comment and link is here on Saab History.

Best,

21. John Oswald

13. Jan, 2009

Cindy:

Two (2) quick ways of authenticating a SPG: driver’s side sun visor should describe tire rating as “V-rated” (as opposed to H-rated) and there should be a sticker at the fuel cap that states “premium fuel only”. These are two hallmarks that most SPG frauds don’t have.

John K. Oswald

22. Cindy

16. Jan, 2009

Thank you so much to both Ryan & John! I have confirmed with as much accuracy as is possible that it is an SPG. It does have both stickers that John suggested we look for and I spoke to a SAAB dealership today who said it is a model 943M. From what I’ve researched, that is the designation for the SPG. I so appreciate the education and feel more confident with it’s sale. We are indeed looking for an enthusiast who will love the car as much as my brother did.

Thanks again,
    Cindy

23. Damon

24. Feb, 2009

Thanks for reminding me about my 2nd SAAB, the SPG. I was handed the keys to a black SPG my senior year of high school and was thrilled with the car for many years to come. Being a used car when my parents purchased, it did have some cosmetic issues. Within a few months of ownership things started going wrong. Some minor, like window switch corrosion, and others more substantial, like the turbo operating intermittently. According to the previous owner, this 150,000 mi SAAB was used in a Cannon Ball Run across the USA back in the mid 80s. While the car had problems and parts were expensive and hard to come by in Texas, this car was one of the most impressionable cars I’ve ever driven. I recall several times at a gas station and people would just stare and sometimes ask, “what kind of car is that?”. I miss my SAAB and hope that someday SAAB will produce another enthusiast car that has the visual appeal that SPG has.

Currently a Lexus enthusiast (SC430 owner),
    Damon Dougherty

24. Fredric Burke

06. Aug, 2009

I’m looking at what is being called a Talladega Red SPG. Was there ever a body-color aero kit option? I have not been able to find out.

Thanks!

25. John K. Oswald

06. Aug, 2009

Fred: See my post at 1/13/09 re authenticating a true SPG. Absent these hallmarks, it is most likely a fraud. As to the aero kit, it seems a bit duplicitous, but I seem to recall the Aussies having similiar kits.

06. Aug, 2009

John,

The Aero Kit was not specifically for an SPG.

The kit included front & rear bumper covers, including fiberglass wheel arches. In addition, people opted for the vent covers and whale tail spoiler too.

I would get the 1992 Saab Accessories Catalog to look at the details for yourself.

27. Jeff

10. Sep, 2009

I am getting ready to restore my dads 88′ SPG. Man he loved that car. It has 285,000 on it with the Origional Engine, Transmission, Clutch and Turbo. You can tell he took care of it. Some body rust on the fenders but I think we can get her back into shape. I was 10 when he bought the car and I couldnt wait to get older and drive it. Best car I have ever driven. I know any saab person knows how testy Saabs are, but this one has never had a problem. We have has 6 Saabs between us over the years. This one has outlasted them all. Any Advice on restoring? Should I fix it if it aint broke?? EXMPL: Replace clutch, turbo etc…

28. john oswald

10. Sep, 2009

Don’t fix–maintain.  The classic Saabs were built to last (especially the SPGs–Peter Gilbert’s “million mile” 1989 SPG comes to mind) and there is simply no need to tinker with the major components of these vehicles, save for regular oil changes, including that of the transmission.

One thing you should look out for, however, is battery acid that sometimes leaks down to the A frame.  This usually results in serious structural issues and requires welding to repair, which more than often results in some sort of misalignment.  Ball joints should be regularly checked as well.

Other than regular maintenance, and attending to the sporadic rust/battery acid/ball joint issues, there is little else necessary to have these vehicles reach 300,000 miles and beyond.  Of the 12 or 13 classic Saab 900s that I’ve owned, all have exceeded 200,000 miles (without engine or transmission failure) and some well into the 300,000 range.  When these cars were sold or given away, ALL were in running order and are probably still running today.

My current 1990 Talladega Red SPG has over 210,000 miles, gets over 28 mpg (overall) and can easily exceed 120 mph.  Not bad for a 19 year old car.

–John K. Oswald, Esq.

29. arias

12. Sep, 2009

I’m curious what the mpg SPG owners get out of their cars? It’s interesting that the manual claims an 18 gallon tank, yet I’ve never once seen the gas meter fill my tank more than 16 gallons and that’s after driving on an empty light for about 50 miles.

I have tested how far I can drive before running out of gas on my 1990 spg, and I was able to go 475 miles. This was with spending about 95% of my driving time on the freeway.

I was shocked then later to run out of gas at 362 miles with only 80% of my driving time on the freeway. These days I don’t dare to go past 400 miles, and I only push 400 IF I’m driving on the highway and not using the lower gears on my tranny. The time I ran out of gas at 362 I was going up a hill. I’m still miffed though. For instance, I drove 385 miles on my last tank, spending about 85% of my miles on the freeway. Yet, when I went to fill up, the meter says I topped out my tank at 15.9 gallons?

Anyone know how much, if any gas is left after the engine shuts off for lack of fuel? I’m about ready to start adding after market mods to my SPG, but I’m worried about my car becoming a gas hog and would like to ensure that the ECU is in sync with any power mods I put in. Anyone have any suggestions? How can I get my SPG to 30 mpg?

30. Jeff

28. Sep, 2009

A few things- Saab does Refer to the model as an SPG. If you look in your owners manual, the car is referd to as the SPG many times. I am looking to add 205/55/15 tires on my aero/SPG wheels. Has anyone has issues with rubbing or is there a good size? I am looking for a little lower profile than the stock size. Thanks

31. Kevin Taggart

04. Aug, 2010

I love all the blogs… I own a 1988 SPG with 198,000 miles on an “all original” vehicle residing in So. Fla. The only failure was the speedo, which I just replaced for $55.00 (yes you read it correctly) ebay….. I am a Saab service advisor so I have the ability to repair/maintain this beauty daily!!!! I also own a 1997 900s non-turbo which is my work vehicle and anoth “jewel” is my 2002 9-5 Aero 5 speed tweeked to approx. 300 hp. LONG LIVE SAAB…. P.S. I’ve already experienced the new 9-5! WOW… impressive

32. Nate

20. Sep, 2010

I am thinking of buying a 1987 Saab Turbo convertible. The seller has advertised the car as an SPG, but I am not sure that there were ever SPG convertibles. It does have skirts, the red turbo box, etc. Only 179,000 kilometers for about $5,500 Canadian. Is it a good price? A good car to buy? I don’t want my desire for a Saab convertible to influence an otherwise stupid purchase.

Thanks.

33. Eric

20. Sep, 2010

Too much money! You can put skirts and red boxes on any
    Saab, but 5500 is just too much

34. Todd Allen

20. Sep, 2010

To my knowledge, there were no SPG convertibles, per say, although there was a “Springtime in Sweden” run of the car–very limited in number–that had the skirts on it. Not sure if the car had the other performance refinements of an SPG, though. Occasionally you see one for these “Springtime” verts sale, and they go for a premium–I’m sure someone knows more about this, than me. As you’ll know, however, you could install the SPG skirts on any classic 900 3 door, as they were readily availible from dealers and really gave the car a visual lift. The verts could also have the skirts, but not without some slight modification being made to them.

As to the price of the ’87 you are considering. I have one, in mint shape, with just 97K US miles on it, new trans and new steering components put in by the original owner I brought if from 4 years ago. Speaking personally, I would not let it go for under $6,500 US dollars, although prices for this model year–and most classic 900 convertibles, for that matter–tend to cover the gamut. Check “Saabnet” to get a feel, and, finally, don’t forget–as this SPG thread suggests–that even if you pay 3K for a bargain “SPG” convertible, you need to set aside around around 2K-3K to get it up to spec: Most people who see my car faint over its perfect paint, supple leather, and as-new shifting–but they are not aware that over 15K has been put into it over the last 20 plus years to keep it that way….

Another thing: The later model years of the vert–from ’90 on, I think–featured a bit more umph, thanks to a different turbocharger that gave more low rpm assistance. My ’87 moves, but I am sure a 1990 or later vert would be more exciting from about 1800 rpm and above.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Todd

35. Kevin

31. Mar, 2011

I owned a 1986 SPG as second owner purchased in 1991. It had the original owners manual and can tell you that SPG was in fact an official Saab model, not just an enthusiast designation. Also, I have seen here and elsewhere that the 1986 SPG had the same horsepower rating as the standard 900 Turbo, at 160 HP. This is incorrect. My 1986 was rated at 175 HP according to the owners manual. It was my understanding at that time, that the 15 HP boost was one of the features of the SPG version. Hope that helps.

36. Eric

31. Mar, 2011

Airflow (not aero) kits were installed by dealers. These usually included the whaletail.
    The SPG model in Europe was called the “aero”
    I usually got 30+ mpg with all of my spg models almost always. Better mileage with age. The most reliable Saab there were, with the exception of the reverse gear thing.
    Manuals were printed in the USA for USA models. SPG was a USA-only designation. I don’t believe that the Swedish words for “Special Performance Group” would begin with the letters SPG.

37. J Bonzer

22. Apr, 2011

I have an 1990 SPG red. 150K miles as of last week. I’ve had it since about 1995. I bought it from original owner after my 88 SPG was totaled. I’ve always had the maintenence done by a Saab certified mechanic. I’ve also kept all the records. It’s my third Saab. It’s starting to show some cosmetic wear. The dash is cracking the headliner is breaking down and paint fading. But no dents or dings. I’m considering selling it and was just wondering if anyone has an idea of what it might be worth? It really is a great car still a little rocket.
    Thanks,
    J

38. ken

12. Jul, 2011

I used to have a 88 SPG in black. Perfect paint, perfect leather, no crack in dashboard. I had upgraded to the 3.0 bar fpr and done some apc box tweaks. It was running great! It would sustain 25psi(safely – I drove it like that for 3 years) while accelerating. I messed up 2nd gear one time screaming up a hill. I parked the thing at a friend’s farm for 3 years. I came back with jumper cables and drove the thing home with the bad trans(350 miles), turbo still worked and everything!

I had it at home and the neighbors started complaining about too many cars. I foolishly sold the thing to a junkyard for $350… I wish I had saved it. Or at least saved all the parts from it. The seats were really perfect. I did save the apc box, the wheels, and the hitch I had for it.

I wish I had kept it…

39. Will

17. Feb, 2012

I am interested in the possibility of a SPG Convertible. I was with my mom when we purchased a Yellow 91′ Saab 900 convertible. It came with the SPG Ground effects and three pronged mag wheels. I am going to look for those tell tale signs when I check it out in my dad’s garage this weekend. People have told me its an SPG but I though they did not make an SPG Convertible

40. JP

21. Feb, 2012

Just a comment: I have an Eduardian Grey 1991 US Spec SAAB SPG that I travelled to Sweden to pick up in 1991. I ordered it on the last possible day before production of the SPG was cut. My understanding from SAAB was that it is the (“last VIN SPG”). I have been the sole driver for nearly 21 years and everything is original. My SPG has logged 245,000 miles and it performs as well now as it did the day it was new. I drive it on the German Autobahn system every day and it’s still total fun to drive. All problems have been minor (i.e., power windows, A/C, radio). Would I sell it? Sure, for a price. I have offers all the time but it would have to be around the €10K range. SPG’s rock! JP 🙂

41. George

22. Aug, 2012

I bought a 1985 Saab SPG from AUTOHAUS OF ASHEVILLE, INC.
    2 kENILWORTH KNOLL
    ASHEVILLE, NC 28805
    Importer’s Suggested Port-of-Entry Price 18, 150.00
    SPECIAL BLACK PAINT 385.00
    SPECIAL PERFORMANCE GROUP 2, 860.00
    DESTINATION CHARGE 289.00
    Total Suggested Retail Price 21, 684.00

It has 204, 055 miles on it today and runs very well. The price sticker states: 1985 Saab 900 Turbo 3DR/943M. Down in the body of the text that explains standard equipment on this model, there is a section entitled ; OPTIONS ON THIS VEHICLE:
    SPECIAL BLACK PAINT
    SPECIAL PERFORMANCE GROUP
    Nowhere on this price sticker, which I also refer to as an invoice, are the letters, ” SPG.’ I think much of the confusion is just the simple fact that we North Americans and particularly United States citizens use far too many acronyms and abbreviations. !

42. Merritt

08. Dec, 2012

What year is it? I have a Saab 900 Turbo convertible, sold to me as a “1994, pre-GM, last-year-that-a-Saab-was-a-Saab” Saab. The owner’s manual says “M1994.” The title says 1994. But the sticker on the driver’s side door frame says “7/93.” So what have I got?

43. crazy chef

10. Mar, 2013

Hello out there. Can anyone tell me what is the l shaped thing that looks like a pcv valve hose on top of a 86 saab 900 turbo? I have to replace it.

44. Raredan

25. Apr, 2013

I am looking at a normally aspirated 1992 900 with the SPG body kit, factory installed. I believe it was made for the european market or australia. Dark green metallic with grey leather interior. I believe in Europe it was called the 900i Aero and is a limited production model. Does anybody know about this vehicle?

45. JP

27. Apr, 2013

Hello, Raredan…

Greetings from Heidelberg, Germany!

Are you searching for a ‘specific’ SPG-type per se or a model that was produced in limited quantities for a specified period of time? I live in Heidelberg, Germany and keep a close eye on literally all SAAB’s that cross my path. I have a ’91 US-spec SPG (turbo, of course) in Eduardian Grey, am the original owner and it is the ‘last VIN’ SPG ever built, now with a quarter million miles on it, everything original and still runs like new. There is only one other SAAB 900 that I know of, a Euro-spec Aero but it’s also grey and not fitted like the true SPG. There were a number of naturally-aspirated 900’s that hit the market with airflow kits that gave them the appearance of an SPG but that was only cosmetic. True SPG’s were of course all Tuvbo models and the others referred to as ‘after-market’. I think the one you’re referring to is what they called a beryl green and I have not seen any of those in Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, Czech Republic or England. I have however seen a green one from Denmark and The Netherlands but only in passing on the Auitobahn; recall I said I’m cognizant of all SAAB’s that cross my fahrbahn (traffic lane).

I had an ’87 4-door 900 in Rose Quartz Metallic that was naturally-aspirated and I loved that model. I sold it after ten years and +100K miles for $4K and regretted it ever since. Everything and I mean literally everything was original on that car.

I can check some of the boards over here and see what I come up with and let you know now that I have your e-m address.

Semper Fi! JP

• Raredan

02. May, 2013

Hello JP,

This is not a true SPG. It is a 2.1 non-aspirated car with a factory installed body kit and leather. I read somewhere that these cars were made in limited numbers for select markets as a way to bolster 900 sales without the higher price tag of the turbo. Owner says he imported from Sweden. I am trying to determine if the car is truly rare or just an irrelevant anomaly.
      Thanks,
      Raredan

46. David Turner

08. May, 2013

Anyone know how many Black SPG’s were made in 1988?

Thanks, David

47. danrennie

21. Aug, 2013

so I am about to invest in my second saab, I used to have an ’87 9000, but had to scrap it when I moved.

I have found a ’91 900 turbo, being labeled SPG by the seller. I have a few things to look for to confirm its an SPG when I see the car, and a few ideas of what to look for as far as what trouble I ay run into if I do indeed buy it. I am a mechanic (though with little experience with 900’s) so I have the option of putting this up on a hoist to take a close look. I’m hoping someone would be so kind as to suggest a few things to look for during inspection. The car has about 300k km.

cheers and thanks

48. peter

02. Mar, 2014

i have noticed that some of the 3 prong wheels on the spgs are recessed with a lip.
    and other are not recessed. were the two styles available on spgs?

49. Thomas

11. Apr, 2014

The “Lipped” or recessed wheels are shown on the early SPG sales literatire but the flush are the ones that came with USA models. The recessed can be found in several diameters. There seems to be no really devisive argument as to which to use but if you do have the original flush and desire to put on the recessed you should still keep the flush wheels.

50. Mike

17. May, 2016

Can anyone tell me what a 1987 “Dealer Prototype” 900 turbo in pearl white Is?

51. rebecca davies

11. Apr, 2017

I have a 3 door hatchback 1989 beryl green saab with the barracuda style curved glass in the back. I have only seen one other like it. It drives like a dream and with the seat down I can put a full sized futon in it for camping. it’s for sale, anyone have any idea what that model goes for? It has 200K on it.

1. Saab 9-3 2.0t SE 2dr Convertible | Used and New Cars For Sale - April 23, 2014

[…] The <b>Saab</b> SPG | <b>Saab</b> History […]

2. Guys, 2 Car Questions - Page 7 - December 3, 2014

[…] Posted by john117 It's the Aero in Europe or Soecial Performance Group in the USA The Saab SPG | Saab History I had one for nearly 20 years and 300,000 miles. Traded it in for a Mini Cooper S. Good […]