1974 Saab Sonett III – Electric car

Posted on 08. Dec, 2006 by in 1970-1979, 2000-2009, 97 (Sonett II & III)

saab_sonett_3_thumb.jpg

There was a 1974 Saab Sonett III converted into an electric car by a Mr. Walter Kern, designer of the SAAB Quantum and Mr. Dave Hosmer, longtime Saab Owner and Enthusiast in New England. Although these videos are somewhat old, their progressive and environmentally responsible idea is still long overdue in today’s world.

Their ideas were very progressive for the time and I would be interested to see what the new developments have been with this project since then. I guess this project marks the first of 2 Saab Electric car projects to our knowledge, unless someone knows of a third “electric Saab” project.

Here are some video clips of this yellow 1974 Saab Sonett III made in 1993.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “1974 Saab Sonett III – Electric car”

1. Ernesto

11. Dec, 2006

I built an electric sonett III at Duke University in 1993. It ran at Daytona and Atlanta Motor Speedway in 1994-1995 at different electric car races. I will try to dig up the pictures.

-Ernesto

2. ryanoe9000

11. Dec, 2006

Ernesto,

Incredible! If you could get any photos, and/or videos, please let me know. Thank you in advance for sharing!

3. JoeS.

11. Dec, 2006

Thank you SAABHistory for the posting and Ernesto I’d welcome some details. Having just installed a solar electric sytem in my house I’m now finally ready to convert one of my three ’73 Sonetts or ’68 95 wagon to all-electric, but I’ll leave my daily driver ’67 96V4 alone since I’ve owned it since it was brand new.

4. friendofbear

25. Apr, 2012

Chuck Witham of Caltech, Southern Calif. had a 1973 Saab Sonett III electric conversion displayed back in 2001.

5. Dave Hinz

26. Aug, 2012

I drove down to South Carolina to buy the engine removed from a Sonett that was being turned into an electric vehicle by a University. This was in the early 1990s. I don’t remember more details, might this be the Duke car?

6. Kriss Motors

15. Nov, 2012

See the Kriss Motors conversion of a 1969 Saab Sonett V4 to electric drive using lithium batteries with an AC motor and regenerative braking.

1. Electric Project Cars - December 22, 2006