1980 Saab 900 5dr Turbo – Saab USA Heritage Collection

Posted on 06. Apr, 2007 by in 1980-1989, 900, Detroit, Michigan, United States

1980_saab.JPG

1980_saab_900_turbo_5dr_rear.jpg

Photo Credits: Saab AUtomobile USA

I just received this from Saab Automobile USA. This is truly wonderful news and nice of them to rescue another Saab and add it to the heritage collection fleet! This 1980 900 5-Door Turbo complete with opera window is a wonderful addition to the heritage collection and I look forward to seeing it fully restored, maybe even by the Saab Owners Convention in August? Here is a writeup about this new addition.

We finally have a classic Saab 900 Turbo 5-door in the collection! It’s just that the car comes without the original engine, interior and TRX wheels, temporarily replaced by newer stuff… But the good news is that the body is largely rustfree and largely complete with the period periscope rearview mirrors, side vents, glass and lights.

Really, quite a find, almost right here on our doorstep! We got wind of this ’80 (recognizable by the double taillights) 900T through Jim Laman of the Great Lakes Saab Club, who had been notified that this car was gradually decaying in a less-than-upscale downtown Detroit neighborhood.

As you may know, the first generation 900 Turbo 5-door was only marketed as Saab’s top luxury model in the United States during the ’79 and ’80 model years, before giving way to the slightly less unconventional 4-door sedan. True highlight of the 5-door are of course the rather unusual “opera” side windows in the C-pillars, which – depending on whom you ask – look downright silly, or put it right up there with the Saabest of Saabs… Well, let’s say that there is at least no shortage of character here!

No matter how you look at it, the pros at the GM Heritage Center have a new object to sink their teeth in…. Most probably a project that we might give the attendees of the forthcoming Saab Owner’s Convention in August a live update on.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “1980 Saab 900 5dr Turbo – Saab USA Heritage Collection”

1. AJD-NYC

30. Nov, 2008

I owned a 1980 5 door turbo (dorado brown with red interior) which I drove from 10K plus to 120K plus miles. It was always fun to drive, especially on long cross-country road trips. Glad you can add this wonderful model to your collection.

2. Anetta

14. Jan, 2009

Is this for sale?

14. Jan, 2009

Anetta,

I wish I knew, the only thing we can check is the Barret Jackson Auction house where GM are selling their cars.

To my knowledge, only the NG900 1995 Pikes Peak car is for sale, but there may be others as well.

I indicated the Pikes Peak car here:

The Barret Jackson auction house website and car list is here, it looks like it starts on the 17th of January too!

4. MARY CHRISTENSON

07. Jun, 2009

I AM TRYING TO FIND REPLACEMENT WHEELS FOR MY 1980 5-DOOR 900T. MY POOR BABY HAS BEEN UNDERGOING RESTORATION AND I CANNOT DRIVE IT VERY MUCH AS THE TRX TIRES ARE ABOUT 12 YEARS OLD. I JUST HAPPENED TO “STUMBLE” ONTO THIS SIGHT WHILE RESEARCHING. IF I FIND REPLACEMENTS AND IF THIS CAR IS STILL IN NEED OF THE ORIGINAL TRX, 24 SPOKES, I CAN DONATE THEM TO HELP PRESERVE THIS GREAT CAR. AND…DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A SUGGESTION FOR COMPATIBLE, BUT MAINTAINING AUTHENTICITY, WHEELS THAT USE “NORMAL” TIRES AT A “NORMAL” PRICE?

5. Benjamin Bundy

07. Aug, 2009

I found a really nice set of 5 SAAB genuine “Inca” wheels for my dk red 1980 Turbo 5-door. I like the looks of them very much. Feel free to e-mail me if you’d like to see some pics. benoberon@hotmail.com Cheers. Ben.

07. Aug, 2009

Ben,

Great find! Please send us a photo of them, I’d love to share them. Can you also show me a photo of them on the car too?

Did you also know that Saab remade Inca’s, unfortunately they did not show up on the Turbo-X, the spirital 30-year anniversary reflecting the first Saab Turbo in 1978?

Best,

7. Mary Christenson

05. Aug, 2010

I wrote the comment from June 7, 2009, above. Having trouble finding replacement wheels. Are you still working on the pictured car? Willing to trade my TRX’s for whatever is on your car?

8. Mary Christenson

09. Sep, 2010

I have had trouble with e-mail. Still waiting for response to offer of trading my TRX’s for what is on this project car.