Springtime in Sweden Limited Edition Convertible – 1988

Posted on 27. Apr, 2008 by in 2000-2009, 900, Sweden

sis2.jpg

Photo Credit: Larry West

In 1988, Saab-Scania’s Saab Car Division, presented during a “Springtime in Sweden” event, a limited edition Saab 900 “Springtime in Sweden” convertible.

The following are the specifications on this limited edition Saab 900 convertible:

Production: There were only 288 Springtime in Sweden or SiS models produced during this time.

Distribution: These vehicles were specifically designated for each Saab dealership in the United States at that time.

Engine: 2.0 Liter Turbocharged engine

Transmission: 4 were Automatic, 284 were manual transmission.

sis_300.jpgExterior: All of the vehicles were painted black, included a matching black convertible top, all badges were removed, and included SPG wheel arch mouldings, SPG body panels and the SPG three-spoke alloy wheels.

Interior: The interior included buffalo grey leather seats rounding out with a commemorative badge indicating that it is a “Springtime in Sweden” edition shown below.

sis_logo1.jpg

Existing owners of this vehicle take pride in knowing that they own a true limited edition Saab convertible.

*There has been talk of a registry to list current owners and locations in the United States, so if there has ever been a good time, perhaps we can begin one here:

—–

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

47 Responses to “Springtime in Sweden Limited Edition Convertible – 1988”

1. Eric Nielsen

01. Apr, 2009

Where would I go to check my VIN number to see if I have a true Springtime in Sweden?

01. Apr, 2009

Eric,

Hello. Good question. Your car should have a dash placard on the center console showing 1 of 288 or something like that.

3. Eric Nielsen

01. Apr, 2009

What if that dash badge has been removed or lost. Is there another definitive way to make this determination? Thanks for you help.

01. Apr, 2009

Eric,

Okay, well if you are looking at the VIN, perhaps the last 3 series of digits will be between 0 and 288, then you probably have one, if not then you probably do not.

What are the last 3 digits of your VIN?

5. James

08. May, 2009

To the above – if the dash placard has been removed, the only way to confirm SiS status is the build decal. The VIN numbers are not sequential, they were built mixed in with other cars at the finland plant.

Behind the drivers door panel there is a decal applied to the metal of the door which should read CABRIO and AERO. This confirms the SiS package.

6. Eric Nielsen

09. May, 2009

Thanks for the information! Would I have to remove the door panel to view the decal? Or are you talking about the decal in the door jam? That one doesn’t seem to have any useful information besides curb weight and tire pressure.

09. May, 2009

James,

This is very interesting, thank you very much for the information! Do you have an SiS? If so, can you provide photos of yours too?

Best,

8. James

23. May, 2009

My father actually owns the SiS, but yes I do have one, and have a friend with another. I have no pictures available now, but I could post some later on.

To view the decal, the entire door panel has to be removed. It takes about 10 minutes to do, there are 7 screws if memory serves, 2 at the bottom and the rest behind the door card.

I found on both my dad’s car and my friends, the decal had water damage and was somewhat difficult to read, but the important information was present.

9. Rick

22. Jul, 2009

Hi, I believe I own a SiS. The only thing I see that is not correct is that the wheels are not spg, the are 5 spokes. I have removed the door panel and on top of the inside of the door there was kind of a sticker, where I could only read clearly “Aero” it also mentioned lots of numbers, the VIN and one number said “00111”. Mine is an automatic. Could it be one of the 4 automatics made? Could it be a SiS?

10. James

16. Sep, 2009

Rick,
    The information you posted certainly indicates an SiS convertible. I wouldn’t be concerned with the missing wheels; my last SPG (with original paperwork from Saab confirming 943M SPG status) had steel wheels!

My SiS also has the 00111 indicated on the build decal. The full line reads:

900 T 2CALN LM5N US 00111

I will be putting together all the information I have and posting it online somewhere, I will link here when I do so

11. Rick

17. Sep, 2009

Thanks a lot for your reply James! Would be great to have more information. Please do send me the link of your website once it is finished, Maybe an idea would be a seperate area for uploading pictures.
    Rick

12. James Grant

28. Jan, 2010

I own an SIS. Restored and upgraded over a nine year period. View at http://www.flickr.com under saab4all. Beware, these cars can easily be cloned. Look for the “Springtime in Sweden” dash placard located on the lower left corner of the glovebox. Without it there will always be a question to authenticity.

13. Patton Dickson

20. Apr, 2010

I have seen a few references that a SIS Registry used to exist, but the link is dead. Does anyone have the the data from that site saved?

The sites address was http://www.vlphotos.com/saabsis.html

20. Apr, 2010

Why don’t you try archive.org? It’s here, last entry in 2007

15. Patton Dickson

22. Apr, 2010

Thanks, I got it.

16. Daryl Menefee

29. Apr, 2010

They are beautiful cars. I just bought mine in early march and I enjoy it everyday.

17. Patton Dickson

19. May, 2010

I got the one that I was looking at as well. It appears it came from the Austin, TX dealer.

18. Steve West

15. Jan, 2011

I have one I bought new in Kirkland, WA. A little less than 100K, but stored for the last 5 years.

Wonder if I should sell it or hold…. Anyone have idea of value now?

• Michael

15. Dec, 2014

As of 12/15/2014 there are two SIS’s for sale on SaabNet. Well, actually three because one is pending publication. From (about) 14K to 26K$$! “What” is the value? What a Buyer is willing to pay Steve! Only those that have owned a well maintained Saab know what it is, eh? Anywho (Minnesotan) Authentic SIS is a different story than some that have been advertised as such. Steven Whitely has done extensive research on this aspect. HIS SIS is coming upon the marketplace very soon. Health issues force his sale of same.

• Allan

16. Dec, 2014

Michael:

I responded to a thread Steven Whitely started on another SAAB forum recently offering him some advice on his past attempts to sell his “SiS”. I’m a SAAB collector, as is one of my employees, who also recently offered him some advice and offered to help him.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, he will never get his price of $12,000 for the car he is trying to sell. Anyone looking for a “collectable” SAAB and namely an authentic SiS, has been doing their homework. For the price he is asking, everything better be in order. There has been numerous errors within all of the many ads he has run trying to sell the car — again, any person looking to buy a authentic SiS and willing to pay that type of money will immediately notice the errors and question the authenticity of the car — there are many fakes(not implying that his is one) out there.

I have been driving SAABs for 26 years. I have an extensive database and cataloged information on several of the 288 SiSs that were manufactured, that I have been compiling for the last 24 years. The most recent attempt to sell the car on eBay, was by far, filled with the most fatal misinformation — thus resulting in another failed attempt to sell the car.

His car appears to be well taken care of and he has apparently done a lot of maintenance / repairs to the car. However, according to my records, there has only been one SiS that has sold for “big money” in the last 12 months — and that particular SiS was in a class all by itself, for many reasons — there is not another equal to it, period.

Three months ago, someone was also trying to sell a “SiS” that I viewed. He had tried unsuccessfully, running several ads and eBay auctions. He had priced his car based on some of these inflated ads for similar cars — that was the only problem why the car was not selling. He, too, had a gorgeous and well maintained car — it just needed to be priced accordingly. As soon as he asked a fair price, the car immediately sold.

I wish Mr. Whitely success, but he will need to change a lot with his ads, his asking price and now he will also need to take into account that the mistakes made in his previous ads will also hurt his asking price.

• Jeff

27. Dec, 2014

Allen,

Tell me about your registry as I would like to see an authentic one made public.

• Allan

27. Dec, 2014

Hello Jeff:

I do not have a public SiS registry. I do, however, keep my own personal database of known actual Springtime in Sweden cars as well as the VIN # on the cars that I have come across that have been made to look like a real SiS, but are not. I tend to catalog everything SAAB that interest me. I started it many years ago when I was looking to purchase my first SiS. As has been stated, this would be a good place to start a public one.

The SiS, along with the SPG are two of the most cloned and faked editions in the SAAB world. Someone with an actual SiS, had their glovebox SiS dashcard stolen a few years back. The thief’s intention was to pass off a non SiS as an actual SiS, to sell it at an inflated rate. It is absolutely amazing how much misinformation is floating around on how to determine the authenticity of a “SiS”. Even within this thread, there is misinformation on how to authenticate. There are ONLY two ways; 1) the original window sticker with VIN#, matched against all of the fixed VIN badging and cross checked on registration, title and insurance records — along with 2) the glovebox badge affixed in its proper place — nothing else is legitimate.

• Dan

02. Apr, 2015

All, Really interesting conversation on the SiS convertibles. I bought a unique Saab in Nov 2014 and would be interested in any feedback you may have…

I have a Grey/Silver 1987 900 Convertible and it has the SPG Skirting and SPG Wheels. The car was bought new in the Seattle area and sold to an owner in Colorado many years back and where I bought it last fall.

I owned a 1983–900 Sedan for years and always wanted to get another Saab. The ’87 Convertible is a great car and so fun to drive!

Any ideas why this vehicle would have the SPG upgrades?? Would it only be a case of owners customizing after sale or did Saab possibly include some of these features a year before the SiS was released?? I see quite a few late 80’s turbo verts here in Colorado and I’ve never seen one with these SPG features.

Thanks again for any feedback! Dan

• Jeff

05. Apr, 2015

Hi Allen,

I may have found the missing link to identifying a true 1988 Saab 900T Springtime in Sweden. The original window sticker would be a sure thing but, since the dealers were the purchasers, I have yet to see one. The original glove box emblem attached to the lower left corner would also be a sure thing. My SiS does have that emblem but some may be missing. Note above that James on Sept. 16, 2009 pulled the driver’s side door panel to reveal the original build decal. The manufacturer’s identification is 900T 2CALN LMSN US 00111. My SiS has the exact same I.D. number. I also own a 1993 Saab 900T APC and the build decal has the vin number and the “Cabrio and Aero” marking. So, the 00111 number may have been Saab’s way of an internal tag that identifies each one of the only 288 Springtime in Sweden models sold exclusively to the U.S. dealers. Comment please.

• Allan

24. May, 2015

Hello Dan:

I am not familiar with any SE(special edition) convertibles in MY 1987. Many people did add the SPG side skirt panels and wheels to change the look of the c900.

There was a website, years ago, that listed all of the Worldwide c900 SE models. I believe there were over 60 models listed with some of the production run numbers included.

I am sure your convertible stands out, nice color combination!

• Allan

24. May, 2015

Hello Jeff:

I would suggest you contact Peter Bäckström, the Curator at the SAAB Museum. I am sure he could add some light on your theory.

You are absolutely right about the decal behind the door card. This is probably the single biggest incorrect theory floating around, I have seen it on numerous forums. You will see the words: “Cabrio” and “Aero” on the door decal of any c900 turbo convertible.

Also, the factory invoices do exist, they are extremely rare. I have only seen one SiS that would command a selling price of >$15,000 in today’s market place. When that car arrived here on the east coast I went to look at it and believe me, it was as advertised — completely original condition with; all of the original paperwork, badges AND most of the special gift items and apparel that was presented to the dealers. When all of the original documents are present coupled with all of the original badges, then you have a real gem that is worth more money.

19. Steve Childers

30. Sep, 2011

I have the SiS from the Knoxville, TN dealership. Very impressive little car!

20. Michael Red

29. Jan, 2012

I have on just like that in the picture. It has a placard on the glove box, SIS. How many are still running?

21. Lesley Kitchener

23. Mar, 2012

My car was from CONTINTEL MOTORS FAIRFIELD CT. WHAT A BUETIFULL CAR! 1 of the 4 automatics. Imagane type 37 3speed is cool to own!

22. Edward F.

06. Apr, 2012

My SiS came from Clews and Strawbridge outside Philly. I have owned this car for many years, and I do have the glovebox placard. The car came with the Red box and Saab Momo wheel.

23. Dave Carr

25. Apr, 2012

I recently purchased an ’88 black convertible SPG that carries all the qualifications of an SIS. The decal on the glove box lid is missing. However, the impression made by the decal being there for many years is still visible when viewed from the side. The measurement, as near as I can tell with just a tape measure is 2-3/8″ x 1-1/8″, about 5/8″ from the left edge of the glovebox cover and nearly at the bottom edge of the cover. I have pictures from an angle that clearly shows that something of those dimensions was there. It is a 5 speed with 115K and originally came from Wyoming.

• Dave Carr

25. Apr, 2012

Having just looked at the title from the last and only other owner it is Camden-Wyoming, Deleware. Makes more sense in that I found it in the DC area. Weird town name, very confusing.

24. Jeffrey Dunham

01. Dec, 2013

I recently bought a SiS with glove box placard, door panel tag which has the “areo” tag, and full SPG upgrades. The computer box is not a “Red Box” but a black box with the same function. I tried the old SiS web site with no reply. A new active registry would be helpful to all SiS owners. I do not have the knowledge to start one. Anyone out there?

25. Think of the obvious reason for imbibing the video
    content in your business. Short clips can convey your message far more easily and quickly.

And your film crew can help you with these things as well.

26. Angela

06. Aug, 2014

I have a 1988 SIS however the badge is located in the middle of the glove box not in the lower left corner. is this the right location? Did the dealers place the badge or was it placed at the factory? Every other aspect of the car matches SIS.

27. Dane

03. Apr, 2015

Thanks again for any feedback! Dan

28. William Holbert

22. May, 2015

I have an 1988 SIS with 55,700 Miles on it. It has the red Box as well giving it 200 Horse Power. 5 Speed and in very good condition. It is always under cover. Can be viewed at http://www.saabstory.com. it is for sale to the right type of Person. I have driven Saabs since 1980,owning over 14 cars. I currently drive a 79 EMS,and sadly had to replace Motor last year. it now has an 8 valve 1988 engine in it with 84,000 Miles on that engine. I really Love the SIS,but would sell it if it works out.

29. William Holbert

22. May, 2015

Type your comment here…

30. William Holbert

22. May, 2015

Have an SIS Convertible 55,700 Miles. Red Box 200 Horse Power. It’s in great shape and a fantastic car to drive. Vin is YS3AT75L7J7032405. Very Clean and Appraised at 22,600 dollars. Asking 20.000. It is under cover and not exposed to elements.

31. Gplsek

16. Feb, 2016

We have a SiS awsome car. 2nd owners since it was less than a year old. Came from Lindquist SAAB in Culver City CA, my dad was a tech there and customer wanted to sell it so he jumped on it. Car is in amazing shape

32. Charles

29. May, 2017

I have started a SIS registry! The site is brand new and I am still experimenting with formats. Please jump over and check it out. If you own a SIS please submit your car. http://saabsis.com/submit

My goal is to document the car and match it to the dealer. Please come and help!

33. Isaiah

10. Sep, 2017

I have an sis and it drives awsome. It has this unique engine sound that I just can’t get over. Best saab ever

34. Frank T.

01. Jul, 2019

Anyone looking for a 1988 900 SIS convertible one of the four automatic transmission produced. I have one that has been sitting for a couple years and would love to see someone driving it again

35. rudy

06. Sep, 2019

I have a sis automatic 126k miles clean ready to part ways let me know if interested

36. Eric Nordling

05. Apr, 2020

With great regret I’m selling my 1988 SiS SAAB 900. Check it out at http://www.nordsweb.com.

1. mc yellow spg - The Saab Link Forums - August 1, 2012

[…] The SE's were platana gray or MCY. Also, please correct me if I am wrong. You are correct. Springtime in Sweden Limited Edition Convertible – 1988 | Saab History __________________ I don't drive fast…I fly slow 2003 9-5 Arc […]