German Autobild Releases Next Gen Saab 9-5 Photos

Posted on 22. Jul, 2009 by in 2000-2009, 9-5 NG

Photo Credit: Saab Automobile AB

The German Automotive Magazine, Autobild has released what looks to be official photographs of the the next generation Saab 9-5 sedan.

The photos are simply incredible, however, I am wondering where that supposed hatch was supposed to be on this model? Otherwise, everything else looks amazing!

Tags: ,

No Responses to “German Autobild Releases Next Gen Saab 9-5 Photos”

1. Sebbe

22. Jul, 2009

Last night I dreamed I was visiting Stockholm again, wandering around the Modern Art Museum, under a blue sky, everything was perfect…
    Now I’m hoping to wake up from this nightmare! This was supposed to amaze all Saab freaks, instead it is a disgrace! It looks worst than a Honda Accord, it looks like a whale stranded in the beach!

2. Golfhunter

22. Jul, 2009

Personnaly , I find it gorgeous and I’m not disappointed at all .

22. Jul, 2009

Here’s hoping the final version comes with a hatch, like the Skoda Superb. I was hoping that this was what it was going to be.

I hope I am right in the end.

R

4. Markc

23. Jul, 2009

Whilst I don’t totally hate this car and I will have to see it in the flesh to make a real judgement, it underwhelms me in many ways. It is the final product of the GM era and perhaps it would be much fairer to judge it that way? Hopefully for the next 9-3, Saab will be Saab allowed to be Saab once more and perhaps remember how to make real Saabs again? That car now will be more important than ever. Goodbye GM, I’d like to say it was nice but…

P.S. I still hope there’s a hatch version.

5. anonymous

23. Jul, 2009

CS, hatchback! This car must be a hatchback. I can smell execs who said “if we have wagon, we won’t make a separate hatchback, so you could only try to make sedan fool people into looking like Saab hatch”. Interior is a proper Saab. The body up to the rear doors looks like what we were asking for, but the sedan back is marginally tolerable. With a history of beeing the first large hatchback in US, having so many bestselling hatchbacks in recent past, now when even premium germans (!) make sportbacks and ugly BMW 5series hatch, Saab has to show the world how the best big hatchbacks are made.

Don’t get me wrong, this car looks good, good enough to make me buy one. There are things I don’t approve, though I bet it looks even better in real life and after all I am delighted that there is going to be a Saab which is built and equipped like a modern premium car 🙂

6. Kurt W. Krauss

23. Jul, 2009

In my opinion, it is spectacular. There are comments on other sites that it looks like the Opel Insignia – compare the two and about the only real similarities is that both are 4 door sedans with 4 tires.
    Saab people didn’t much like the 99 when it came out and have criticised every design since the 92/93/96. And what is a “real Saab” anyway – the 96 is far different from the 99 and C900; the 9000 completely different from those; Sonetts – no similarity to any other Saabs…NG 900/OG 9-3 and existing 9-5 – OK maybe some design cues from the 99/C900. Like all Saabs, I think it has to “grow on you.”
    Ryan – agreed a hatch would be great but the Wagonback 99 didn’t arrive until MY ’74; before that it was sedans and wagons from Saab. The reason Saab didn’t design a wagon for the 99 was because it was perceived as too pedestrian and not up-market at the time. But then M-B came out with the W123 wagon in ’78 and that made Euro-wagons seem classy, which continues today. Ironically, now, there is a perception in the US that hatchbacks are for econo-boxes and sedans are favored over hatches (ie Rabbit sells less than Jetta here; opposite in Europe). My favorite Saab is a 99 or 900 5 door but how many 9-5 hatches would they actually sell here today? As an aside, I recall many a 1980 900 5 door lingering on dealer lots in 1981 and even into 1982. What did Saab replace that model with?…a 4 door notchback, of course. Boy, wish I could have bought one of those 5 doors back then!

7. Markc

23. Jul, 2009

After seeing the later photos from Auto Motor und Sport, I have to say that the car (thankfully) looks a whole lot better than I first thought. It’s still crying out for a hatchback version though. Hopefully the rumours are true?

23. Jul, 2009

Agreed, I want to see that Skoda Two-Hinged Hatchback as shown here.

9. Barnegat Leight

26. Jul, 2009

I think my beloved 9-3 Combi is a little more interesting, but
    maybe that’s just me. I do notice that one annoying interior
    ‘feature’ continues in the new 9-5. That shiny strip of plastic
    trim around the dashboard casts a distracting reflection on
    the windshield & I’m surprised they have kept that around.