Saab Enthusiast Calls For Diesels & Hatchbacks In U.S.

Posted on 13. Sep, 2009 by in 2000-2009

A Saab History frequenter has contacted me recently to tell me that he recently attempted to write an e-mail to the folks at Saab Cars North America, Inc. about suggestions about future products that should be introduced into the United States. Unfortunately, his e-mail attempt failed when he hit submit and was redirected to some GM site about legal disclaimers. I told him that if the Saab USA website did not accept his submission, I would gladly offer a venue in which to submit it as his submission to Saab History came through without a problem.

His suggestions are to introduce diesels as well as hatchbacks to the United States. The former are already available in most other markets, the latter is something many including myself have been advocating since the last hatchback left the product portfolio of Saab in 2002 with the 9-3.

Many of us may all know about Fred in Chicago (DZLSABE) that personally imported a 2003 Saab 9-3 (the first year without the hatch) that had a 2.2 TiD diesel engine and has celebrated 50+ miles per gallon since and continues to enjoy this ride, just think what it would have been like if these were officially available for everyone complete with a hatchback?

The last thing the writer suggested was that I put a poll below about what you think Saab Cars North America needs in United States, those being 1) A Hatch?, 2) A Diesel?, 3) Both being equally most important or 4) Neither (please describe in comments what is needed). I of course took this initiative and responded by placing a poll here, so please cast your votes!

What Do you Think Saab's U.S. Market Needs Right Now?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Hi–this is what I intended to send to SAAB USA:

My first SAAB, a 1969 96, was way ahead of its time in terms of safety, comfort, utility and performance. 10 years later I purchased a 1978 99, a car which remains great to drive, the combination of a hatch and removable back shelf and back seats which fold almost flat adding station wagon-like capacity to the features I enjoyed when I had the 96. SAAB should once again offer a true hatchback. I also think that given the performance, mileage and reliability of today’s diesels, a 9-3 turbo diesel would be most welcome in the U.S. And while I appreciate new design, given the cost of low-speed impacts a return to 5 mph damage-free bumpers should be another consideration.

Perhaps you could add a quick poll such as SAAB 9-3s

should be offered with: (a) Hatch ( b) Turbo diesel (c) Both (d)
Neither

Tags: , , , , , ,

No Responses to “Saab Enthusiast Calls For Diesels & Hatchbacks In U.S.”

1. karmasutraSAAB

13. Sep, 2009

it is amazing how current design fails to assure safety.

2. David

14. Sep, 2009

In US Diesel’s time is passing. Not a lot of profit there. On to electric

3. DS

14. Sep, 2009

What a surprising poll. . . . Not

4. AJ

15. Sep, 2009

Being the lucky owner of a 2008 9-5 1.9 TiD, I can symphasis with you alll not having access to Diesels. As a matter of interest, the 1.9 (150bhp) diesel is a far better engine that the previous 2.2. More torque and better economy – I frequently see over 50 mpg, has been as high as 57 mpg with a light throttle at a steady 56 mph, and regularly does 48 mpg on cruise at 75 mph with the air-con on. And remember those are British mpg figures!

5. fred

15. Sep, 2009

Ryan-

Thanx for the shout. The dzlsabe could theoretically get 50+ mpg, but the most Ive been able to get out of it doing the math is about 47. The most the SID has ever read was 45. Realize these readings are full tanks on the interstate, cruise control set N of 75 usually. I couldnt imagine burning a full tank at 55mph, where no doubt 50+ could be had. Have been burning mostly biodiesel during the warm months.

And yeah, I miss the hatch…theyd sell huge. Also, that electric rear-drive concept of a couple years ago needs to head to production. Have a great time in Frankfurt.

6. peter

19. Sep, 2009

Just to say that British (imp) gallons are bigger than US gallons – so miles per (US)gallon would be less.

US liquid gallon = 3.785411784 litres
    Imperial gallon = 4.54609 litres

So the Imp Gallon is about 20% bigger than the US gallon.

Peter

1. Quick scan of the net - gm 9-3 sport « I look like a clown at a birthday party. - September 13, 2009

[…] http://www.saabhistory.com/2009/09/13/saab-enthusiast-calls-for-diesels-hatchbacks-in-us/Unfortunately, his e-mail attempt failed when he hit submit and was redirected to some GM site about legal disclaimers. I told him that if the Saab USA website did not accept his submission, I would gladly offer a venue in which to submit it as his submission to Saab … The former are already available in most other markets, the latter is something many including myself have been advocating since the last hatchback left the product portfolio of Saab in 2002 with the 9-3. … […]