Saab History Suggests A Saab Enthusiast Convoy To Detroit

Posted on 30. Dec, 2009 by in 2000-2009, Events

renn Saab History Suggests A Saab Enthusiast Convoy To Detroit

Photo Credit: Saab History

With the Saab clubs in Europe taking the initiative to set up a convoy to Saab Automobile’s headquarters in Sweden, a week after the January 7th deadline, I think us here in the United States and Canada can do something even more effective.

I think it would make much more sense for us Saab owners and enthusiasts in the United States and Canada, to organize a nice convoy to Detroit. This convoy should take place next week, arriving within hours of the GM board meeting. this is the meeting where they will ultimately decide the fate of Saab Automobile’s future.

If we get enough Saab owners and enthusiasts parked outside of the GM Renaissance center in Detroit, perhaps we could really show them how serious we are in wanting Saab Automobile to have a bright future and be sold.

I think this would be the ideal location and timely, given that it would be on the day of the GM board meeting. Let’s get moving on this. Anyone know the time and date of the GM Board meeting next week? Let’s fill this parking lot and show a strong gathering of support for Saab! I think it would be a win-win for everyone involved. The press would of course love it too!

Assuming the weather is cooperative, all you need to do is drive there, park, hang out for a few hours, talk with the press, get some group photographs and show your Saab pride!

It’s up to those attending on the ground, to make the best determination as to exactly where on that day.

The press are already covering this event and it has not even started yet!

Automobile Magazine – Saab Convoy to Detroit to Save the Brand

Autoblog – Saab enthusiasts planning rally at GM HQ?

Jalopnik – Got A Saab? Head To Detroit To Help Save The Brand

USA Today – Saab Owners Organizing Convoy To GM Board Meeting

Motor Trend – Saab Enthusiasts Plan March On Detroit

The Swedish Wire – Saab Enthusiasts Gather In Detroit To Protest

Trollhattan, Sweden’s TTELA – Demonstration för Saab i Detroit

Bil Sport IN Sweden – Demonstration för Saab i Detroit

Goteborg Posten – Saab-entusiaster demonstrerar mot GM

Swedish Radio -Enda sättet är att sälja SAAB with Saab History Interview

Gay Wheels – Saab Enthusiasts Not Giving Up

Stockholm News – Manifestation for Saab planned in Detroit

AOL Autos wants to sponsor our signs! I think we get “SAVE SAAB” on them, what do you think?

Update 1.2.2009 1:50pm EST:

Who: Saab owners and enthusiasts coordinate here and e-mail each other.

What: Saab Enthusiast Convoy To Gather Near GM Rennaissance Center.

When: Meet On Tuesday, January 5th at noon. / Saab Car Gathering is at 1pm nearby.

Where: At the food court at the GM Renn Center. Click this link for more details and directions on the location.

The location where the vehicles will gather at 1pm here :

“There is a public lot at the corner of Atwater and St. Antoine right on the river that is only $3 per day. (Won’t find any cheaper parking near the Ren Cen.) It always has lots of extra capacity so maybe that’s a good choice. People can enter the Ren Cen from that side through the Winter Garden entrance on Atwater and the food court is on that same level.”

Click on the photo to see it larger!

rennmap 300x170 Saab History Suggests A Saab Enthusiast Convoy To Detroit

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

59 Responses to “Saab History Suggests A Saab Enthusiast Convoy To Detroit”

1. Jim Laman

30. Dec, 2009

Michigan-based enthusiasts are welcome to contact me as a link to Great Lakes Saab Club members around the state. I’ll certainly do what I can!

lamanjim@juno.com

Thanks

Jim

30. Dec, 2009

Jim,

Thanks! The more the merrier!

R

3. karmasutraSAAB

30. Dec, 2009

I have been thinking about this myself for a long time. I’m down… who has flags, banners? We can have a parade.

4. Tyler

30. Dec, 2009

Sounds good. I’ll watch for updates :)

5. Thair

31. Dec, 2009

This does sound great its a shame we are here in the UK, there is a few guys here who would be happy to do the same. However, I was just thinking I hope that the 17th is not too late.

Great idea anyway.

6. Richard R

31. Dec, 2009

Saab owners should invite Pontiac and Saturn owners to join the convoy as show of support for Saab.

7. regnisfon

31. Dec, 2009

I’m in Ohio, about 4ish hours from Detroit. I’d be up for some sort of Detroit convoy thing.

8. Hector B

31. Dec, 2009

What time would we need to arrive?

9. S Fales

31. Dec, 2009

Brilliant! I had toyed with the idea myself, and would love to be there. I have a feeling this is going to be huge. Of course, GM will probably have us all arrested for inciting a riot, or some sort of illegal gathering, the lawyers will also enjoy this!!

10. S Fales

31. Dec, 2009

Brilliant! I had toyed with the idea myself, and would love to be there. I have a feeling this is going to be huge. Of course, GM will probably try to have us all arrested for inciting a riot, or some sort of illegal gathering, the lawyers will also enjoy this!!

11. S Fales

31. Dec, 2009

Brilliant! I had toyed with the idea myself, and would love to be there. I have a feeling this is going to be huge. Of course, GM will probably try to have us all arrested for inciting a riot, or some sort of illegal gathering Let them try, the lawyers will also enjoy this!!

12. Scott Fales

31. Dec, 2009

Did someone say ‘Woodstock’?

13. Tyler

31. Dec, 2009

So it’s the 17th or 7th? Do you think anyone would notice if I taped Saab badges on my VW? haha.

14. todd agostini

31. Dec, 2009

Bring jumper cables and spare parts !!!

15. Hector B

31. Dec, 2009

The 7th I believe is the right date. At what time should be there by? I would have to travel from Chicago so I’m wondering if I need to stay overnight on the 6th?

16. Peter Gilbert

“LETS ROLL!”

31. Dec, 2009

I just posted an update everyone!

18. karen

Andrew Peterson is also covering the convoy, #1 at news.google right now:

Alas, Bloomberg Business News on cable just said that GM said that none of the bids have “financing in place”, whatever that means.

sorry I cannot make the convoy, because the wheel wells on my 1999 9-3 get packed with one to inches of snow. Note to future Saab designers: bring back the C900 wheel wells.

31. Dec, 2009

Jalopnik is now covering this, all before the event has begun!

20. S Fales (Sue)

31. Dec, 2009

My apologies everyone, my keyboard was on the fritz (damn gremlins) and everything I sent yesterday went in triplicate and sometimes some keys wouldn’t work!

Also if anyone has advice on where we could stay (nearby town w/in 1-2 hrs) that might be less expensive, I’d appreciate it if you would let me know. Thank you in advance. Sue

21. cp

31. Dec, 2009

I am in as I only live 10 minutes away. Regarding parking, there are only parking garages attached. Is the idea to get the medias attention (aka a picture perfect shot of dozens of SAABS and there owners?) If this is the case, has anyone considered a driving convoy loop on jefferson avenue? This way we can stay warm and honk are horns everytime we pass the ren cen (gm hq).

Good news!

We just got a sponsor for our signs, we do we suggest that we put on them “SELL SAAB” & “SAVE SAAB”?

Please let me know. We need to get back to them so that they can get printed ASAP.

R

23. Jon

31. Dec, 2009

I live in Wisconsin and would love to be there but my work schedule won’t permit the trip. I suggest signs that say “SAAV SAAB”. Just my two cents, best luck to those who show up – I hate the idea of the loss of this great brand.

Jon

24. Hector B

For the signs I think Save Saab gets our message out better than Sell Saab

Folks,

Okay, so is it “SAAV SAAB” or “SAVE SAAB”, showing that either we are creative with your language or illiterate? :) You decide.

Jalopnik also suggests we wear retro 80’s clothes in route to Detroit.

26. karen

31. Dec, 2009

my two cents: “SAVE SAAB” only because “SAAV SAAB” is far too subtle for Americans.

80’s clothes? NOOOOO! Better to dress as successful professionals who can afford a new Saab. 80’s fashion is best left behind, watch dvd of “Music and Lyrics” as a reminder.

@S Fales: have not been to Detroit in a long time, but surely there is a native who can advise about cheap and safe motels. I read you can buy a house for $500 in some neighborhoods.

Way to go Ryan!

31. Dec, 2009

Okay everyone, here’s the two “SAVE SAAB” signs.

One horizontal 3′ x 2′

One Verticle 2′ x 2′

How many signs do you think we need to print of each? I guess this depends on how many people are attending.

signs

28. Mel Yu

31. Dec, 2009

From What I know, we need to get permit from city of detroit poice dept and possibly sector of MDOT (Michigan Department of Transportation). also, since REN center is not too far from michigan-ontario tunnel, we might run into the issues with Homeland Security.

Couple of years back, I was working with one of car manufacturor to have an event in front of cobo hall regards to NAIAS and I had to go get permits from several places. without valid permits, we’re looking several misdemenor charges that gonna costs us from 100~500 dollars fine with possible jail time.

I’ll find out what has to be done in couple of days.

Only thing is, I need to have detailed plan of how many cars/people and how long is gonna happen.

29. BEV@SUE

31. Dec, 2009

who ever said there would be cops and lawyers in case you need one,forget it a lot of lawyers own saabs,why because they are cool,and different lots of style. I KNOW WE HAVE ONE AND LOVE IT.We have driven all of GM CARS
    even though ours was built here we love.

All,

It all depends on where we park, some of us could park on the street for an hour or so, others in a parking lot.

No worries at all, plus we have freedom of assembly after all.

R

31. Viktor

01. Jan, 2010

Ryan, this is an ad from saabsunited that has a strong message, maybe you could print it out and use it on the convoy

32. Peter Gilbert

01. Jan, 2010

“SAVE SAAB” is more positive than “Sell Saab,” because our goal is to Save rather than Sell, which looks like “Dump this Brand.”

33. chris schell

01. Jan, 2010

I’m in. I’ll be coming from Madison, WI (about 9 hours away from DET).

34. MitchbSC

01. Jan, 2010

In response to S Fales (Sue), the Troy MI area is generally OK for hotels. I used to have family in the Pontiac/Clarkston area. I also did a couple consulting gigs at a retailer that was formerly headquartered in Troy. The Marriott and Hilton/Hampton Inn properties were fine around Troy. Other “OK” areas include Livonia/Northville, Auburn Hills, some of Southfield, and some of Dearborn.

I say “some of” because I made the mistake once of booking a hotel in Dearborn that bordered the Detroit city limits. I didn’t stay but 5 minutes after I saw the razor ribbon. This close to the date, Marriotts in Troy and Auburn Hills are looking like rates in the low $100s.

You did say 1-2 hours away. The commute from these areas to downtown Detroit is the better part of an hour with traffic. I don’t have much experience with staying out as far as Lansing or Ann Arbor.

35. Saabman900

01. Jan, 2010

I’m in for sure. However, I am from just south of Boston in Hingham, MA. If anyone from that area is planning on going too you’re more than welcome to join up on this road trip. Please keep me posted.

36. Ilsa

01. Jan, 2010

I like Save Our Saabs, but Save Saab works.
    Good thinking on the permits! CP thanks for the map. How about honking in morse code – SOS? Too dramatic?

37. Jim Laman

01. Jan, 2010

Everyone- I am going to set up a quick dist list for those who are interested in going to the RenCen on (?) Jan 7. I need more detail on where/when, but will pass along what I get. If anyone can pinpoint that parking lot (or maybe just “on the river in front of the RenCen” is enough?) and get me a time, I will pass it along to those interested.

So if you ARE interested in attending, and have not sent a note already, please do so. I will TRY to keep everyone informed but posting the info here will help too. I also need a point person onsite that day, so if anyone can be sure to be there, or a couple of you, that would be appreciated (and also take lots of pics!!)

Thanks!

Jim

38. Jim Laman

01. Jan, 2010

Thanks to Christian for passing along hotel information. Here it is:

Thought you may suggest with a post at Saab History and/or Saabs United for those considering coming to Detroit and looking for (safe) motels and accommodations an easy-access option would be 14 mile/Troy exit off 75 north of Detroit. Cluster of motels are immediately west and east off exit. Has simple in/out access, a corporate area, reasonable prices.

These links & map might be useful:

39. Jim Laman

01. Jan, 2010

Thanks to Christian for suggesting some hotel ideas in the area:

Check hotels dot com or similar sites for deals for that night. Website will not allow me to post links, or I would pass them along.

40. Kieran

01. Jan, 2010

I’m not sure if I can make it yet, but I’m trying my best to get there. Put me in as a probable.

Kieran Roberts
    2005 9-3

41. Tyler

01. Jan, 2010

Ryan, I like your idea, but I think we need to make the most of the space on the sign. Here’s my suggestion, in 18×24″ format. If you need a larger image I can send it to you :)

BTW, I will most likely not be able to make it on the 7th, but if it turns out to be the 17th, I’m there.

Tyler,

Hello. Thank you. I just saved it. I will contact the printers tomorrow (Saturday) to see if they are open, otherwise Monday morning first thing ASAP. AOL Autos will be paying for the cost of the printing of the “SAVE SAAB” signs. I’m thinking 25-50 will do? We don’t need a sign for each individual.

So, sign here’s a recap of everything

1) Time 1pm

2) Location, where is the best place to meetup during lunch at 12noon before for lunch somewhere for everyone in the vicinity before the meetup takes place? It’s up to you folks with regional knowledge on the ground.

3) Date, I am hearing Tuesday, January 5th and Thursday, January 7th. Which date is the darned GM Board meeting?

4) Signs, we’ve decided on the sign and next is to get them printed. Someone will need to pick up the signs that morning of the meet and bring them to where all of you are meeting for lunch before you go downtown for the gathering.

Anything else we’re forgetting here?

43. Ted Y

02. Jan, 2010

My hearts with all you guys and gals going to the Ren Cen. However, I’m having an iritis attack, and a trip would have a negative effect on my eyes, and I can’t leave my wife home alone for farm chores.
    If there’s any way other way I can help from the Chardon, Ohio area, let me know.

44. Tim Pratt

Hi Ryan,
    Thanks for organizing this – put me down for the trip! – I will be coming from Ada Michigan.
    Regarding hotels – there is of course one right in the Renaissance Center – The Marriott – it is expensive though- 169-$209 per night
    Tim

45. keith85spg

02. Jan, 2010

We’ve got to pick a date on this, unless I missed something it’s not been decided. Is it the 5th or the 7th? I need to clear my schedule as I’m sure others do to.

Folks,

I thought the date would be easiest part about it, so here’s what we know. I’ve checked everywhere I could so far and have found that the meeting is before the 7th, actually but have not been given the actual date.

Here’s what I think makes logical sense, so please let me know if you agree.

Why don’t we have the rally for Tuesday since that’s the 5th and historically, the first Tuesday of the month when the meeting takes place anyway.

That morning, someone will need to pick up the 50 signs up at the sign store (already pre-paid) in the morning before all of you gather for lunch somewhere at noon.

Then, after lunch, everyone will drive in a convoy to where you will be taking your photo and gathering the Saabs, talking to the press, etc.

The remaining questions now are:

1) Where does everyone want to gather for lunch

2) Where is the best possible spot to park your Saabs near the Renn Center?

Let’s get these questions answered by the locals with regional knowledge here.

47. regnisfon

02. Jan, 2010

I was hoping for Thursday, myself, as I know I could make it.. oh well. I work a split shift on Tuesday, so trying to get off could be a bit difficult.. but I’ll give it a shot!

48. Jeff

02. Jan, 2010

hey so im planning on making a facebook event for this so that we can attempt to get a bunch of younger saab enthusiasts to show up too. Ill put the date as the fifth but if someone could suggest locations ASAP that would be really helpful for anyone planning on driving long distances.

49. Eric

02. Jan, 2010

Were in. Coming from Ann Arbor area. All we need to know it it a Tuesday or Thursday, but other than that were in.

50. Jim Laman

02. Jan, 2010

Jeff- The 5th has been determined to be the best date, at noon in the food court of the RenCen. Contact me at lamanjim@juno.com for ongoing updates.

51. Jim Laman

02. Jan, 2010

My last post did not appear, so will try again.

The 5th has been determined to be the best date, so we will meet at noon at the food court inside the RenCen. See their website for details. Contact me to be added to my email list for ongoing updates at lamanjim at juno.com. Details are still developing, thanks for your patience!

jim

52. Jim Laman

02. Jan, 2010

Jeff- Facebook is a great idea! I am doing an email dist list for those attending with the latest updates. contact me at lamanjim at juno dot com for the latest.

FYI- Jan 5th, Ren Cen Food Court at NOON.

53. Jim Laman

02. Jan, 2010

JEff- Facebook is a great idea! Thanks! I have an email dist list that I am keeping everyone updated with the latest details through, so please contact me at lamanjim at juno dot com if you wish to be added.

FYI- Jan 5th, in the Food Court in the RenCen at NOON. Details still developing! Attendees- bring a camera!

jim

54. Jim Laman

Jeff,

Facebook is a great idea, thanks!!

I have an email list that I am keeping everyone updated with. Send me a note at lamanjim at juno dot com and I can add anyone to it.

The date IS Jan 5th, meet in the Ren Cen Food court at Mcdonald’s at Noon. From there at 1 PM we will move outside (with Save Saab signs as soon as they arrive) to talk to the media.

Folks,

We now have everything set up, the time, the place, everything.

The SAVE SAAB signs were quoted at $334 for 50 signs in plastic core at 24″ x 18″ by a local place in Detroit about 20 minutes from downtown.

I have yet to reach our contact at AOL Autos, so I wonder if I could get the order started today (they recommended it), but I’d need some donations to get it started.

Let me know and thanks!

R

56. Jeff

02. Jan, 2010

Heres the link to the facebook event.

Folks,

I want to try to make it myself, and I am trying to gather support to get a flight.

Anyone know if I could stay with them so that the cost of a hotel is not added?

With 75% of my advertisers unable to renew until the Saab situation is resolved (totally understable), I cannot cover basically any costs myself.

Please let me know as I feel I should be there with all of you.

R

58. John Boyce

02. Jan, 2010

On Tuesday, January 5, I will be a a meeting in Fort Worth, TX. As a Detroit native (Cass Tech 1969) and a multiple Saab owner (our present car is a 2009 9-5 Griffin Edition Sport Combi), I would love to be at the event, but that is not possible. I hope it has the desired impact, and thank those who are working hard to make it happen.

John R. Boyce
    Bismarck, ND

1. Saab History » Saab History Suggests A Saab Enthusiast Convoy To ... | Museum And Art - December 31, 2009

[...] here: Saab History » Saab History Suggests A Saab Enthusiast Convoy To … Connect and [...]