The First Ever, Saab 9-3 Convertible Built In Sweden!

Posted on 12. Jan, 2010 by in 2010-2019

1stconv The First Ever, Saab 9 3 Convertible Built In Sweden!

convertible The First Ever, Saab 9 3 Convertible Built In Sweden!

convertible1 The First Ever, Saab 9 3 Convertible Built In Sweden!

Photo Credits: Saab Automobile AB

The first ever Saab 9-3 convertible to be built in Sweden rolled off of the assembly line yesterday at the Saab factory in Trollhättan.

The Saab Convertible has historically been built in Graz, Austria from 2004-2009, and previously it was built in Uusikaupunki, Finland ever since it’s introduction in 1986.

This is a huge day for Saab Automobile and a big milestone in the history of the convertible. This car being produced in Sweden now also means that all production is now entirely in Sweden. I think that Bob Sinclair, the man behind the idea of the Saab convertible would be proud if was with us today.

Here’s the press release below:

Saab Automobile Produces its First Convertible in Trollhättan

* Production of iconic Saab Convertible begins in Trollhättan
* Increased utilization of Saab Automobile’s Trollhättan production facility

The first Saab Convertible to be built in Sweden rolled off the line at Saab Automobile’s production facility in Trollhättan today. All previous Saab Convertibles have been built outside of Sweden, first at Valmet Automotive in Uusikaupunki, Finland and latterly at the Magna Steyr plant in Graz, Austria.

During 2009, the decision was made to concentrate all Saab car production in Sweden and as a result the Saab Convertible is now being built alongside the current 9-3 and 9-5 models, plus the next generation 9-5, at Saab’s state-of-the-art manufacturing unit in Trollhättan.

Saab Automobile revealed its first four-seater Convertible as a concept car in 1983 and the production version followed in 1986. Since then, more than 250,000 Convertibles have been produced. Designed as a true four-season, all-weather soft-top, the Saab Convertible has achieved iconic status and in 2008 it accounted for 12% of sales in the European premium mid-sized convertible segment. The latest vision of Saab’s future direction in convertible design, the 9-X Convertible Concept, was shown at the 2008 Paris Motor Show to great media and public acclaim.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “The First Ever, Saab 9-3 Convertible Built In Sweden!”

1. karen

12. Jan, 2010

Trollhattan must be the most flexible auto assembly plant in the world to be able to have a sedan follow a convertible.

We can only hope that Bob Sinclair’s spirit is following GM’s Ed Whitacre everywhere he goes these days.

2. saabby-727

13. Jan, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAAB!
    If I did not have my 9-5 I would try everything possible to buy finally one from Trollhättan.
    This is the guarantee that this BAD DREAM for Saab named GM is OVER!!!
    Go on Team from Trollhättan, we, all the EU are supporting you, we will buy only saab and only from Sweden.
    Greatest cars ever!

3. Thyl

15. Jan, 2010

The plant now builds four vastly different models having three different platforms (GM2900, Epsilon, Epsilon II ewb) on one assembly line! Chapeau!!

4. Don Womersley

01. Mar, 2010

I have a 2006 9.3 convertible which has been damaged. I have waited from 8th December 2009 until now, 1st March for a rear quarter wing which is on order from you but There is still no information as to when this will arrive. I realise that the model has changed shape recently but surely these parts for a car only 3 years old should be readily available. There has been no information as to when my repair garage may receive this part.
    To say that I am dissapointed is an understatement. Your comments and any production information would be greatly appreciated.

Don Womersley (a very frusted Saab owner).

01. Mar, 2010

Don,

Thanks for your response. Who are you working with on this? Have you tried contacting other Saab dealers for this part and if so, what have they said?

Furthermore, have you tried contacting dealers in Sweden who may have more immediate access?

R

6. Helen

10. Apr, 2010

Thank you so much for the nice car in the world. I own convertible 2004. MD93 aero. This is my dream car. My husband polishing and washing putting gas on the empty tank and me just drive. I drive all year round winter and summer no problem at all. the nice about Saab car that it drive so squat and smooth. Keep making this cars for people to enjoy their drive. Good job.
    thank you.
    Helen

7. Tim

30. Aug, 2010

Thank you Sweden for saving the Saab! Oh, and what a save, this model looks stunning and worthy of its place in history.

8. MSG

06. Oct, 2010

This is really good news for Saab and Sweden as a whole. Some really good models lined up for the furture and the 9-3 still looks quality especially the Aero models. Who needs the Americans and large car companies… the smaller the better!

9. saabby-727

24. Nov, 2010

I have news for Sweden-Saab-Saab lovers like i am also!!!
    My 9-5 2,3T vector built in 2004 by GM got engine damage with 156000 km, on the highway at 225km/h. A very good followed car, each 9-10000 km changing oil, with 151000 km last regular controll, always best fuel (ultimate 100) and so on. Nothing was “too good” for my car!. And though this it got engine damaged without any technical or mechanical explanation why it happened.
    I can only say: IT IS NORMAL, IT IS A GM-SAAB!!! IT IS NOT A REAL-SAAB. But I payd it as a real Saab :-(.
    For me is a psychological schock, a big financial lost, huge problems a few weeks with another car, hoping to get it repaired… a.s.o.
    One thing I an sure:
    MY NEXT WILL BE ONE FROM SWEDEN OR NONE!!!
    NEVER EVER AGAIN A CAR BUILT BY GM!

10. Private Number Plates

29. Jan, 2011

It is good that the Saab name did not disappear when GM lost interest in the Marque.